Background. Cyber attacks are one of the most dangerous forms of modern terrorism. At the same time in the Russian law, as well as in jurisprudence, there is no clear understanding of the concepts related to this problem. The objectives of the work is to clarify the conceptual apparatus and to generate proposals for amendments to the legislation.
Materials and methods. The author used the method of dialectics as a general scientific method of knowledge that allows to study the phenomena and processes of reality in their historical development, as well as private-scientific methods (formallegal, comparative legal method and system analysis).
Results. The author considered the content of definitions of cyberterrorism offered by various authors, comparing them with each other and with Western similars. The researcher presented and proved her own point of view on this issue. Shortcomings of legal regulation of criminal responsibility for cyberterrorism in Russia were identified. It was suggested introduce a number of changes to the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation in order to ensure punishment for all possible ways to use the Internet for terrorist acts commitment.
Conclusions. Theoretical propositions formulated in the study are aimed at elaboration of recommendations on improving the Russian legislation and are able to raise the level thereof. They can also be used in the academic activity and in the educational process of higher professional education establishments of the law sphere, and in advanced studies for practicing staff and scientific-academic personnel in the sphere of jurisprudence.
1. Krasavin S. Computer Crime Research Center (CCRC). Available at: http://www.crime-research.org/library/Cyber-terrorism.htm (accessed 26 March 2015).
2. Kas'yanenko M. A. Informatsionnoe pravo [Information law]. 2012, no. 1, pp. 21–25.
3. Verton D. Black Ice : The Invisible Threat of Cyber-Terrorism. New York : McGraw-Hill Osborne Media, 2003, 273 p.
4. Denning D. E. SSRC – Social Science Research Council. Available at: http://essays.ssrc.org/sept11/essays/ denning.htm (accessed 26 March 2015).
5. Solov'ev I. N. Administrativnoe i munitsipal'noe pravo. 2009, no. 3, pp. 63–65.
6. Molodchaya E. N. Politika protivodeystviya kiberterrorizmu v sovremennoy Rossii: politologicheskiy aspekt: dis. kand. polit. nauk [Policy of cyberterrorism counteraction in modern Russia: political aspect: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of political sciences]. Moscow, 2011, 188 p.
7. Vasenin V. A. Tsentr issledovaniya komp'yuternoy prestupnosti [Computer crime research center]. Available at: http://www.crime-research.ru/articles/vasenin (accessed 26 March 2015).
8. Golubev V. A. Tsentr issledovaniya problem komp'yuternoy prestupnosti [Computer crime research center]. Available at: http://www.crime-research.ru/articles/Golubev_Cyber_Terrorism (accessed 26 March 2015).
9. Sovremennyy terrorizm: sushchnost', tipologiya, problemy protivodeystviya [Modern terrorism: essence, typology, problem of counteraction]. Eds. Yu. V. Gavrilov, L. V. Smirnov. Moscow: YuI MVD RF, 2003, 66 p.
10. Mazurov V. A. Doklady TUSURa [Reports of TUSUR]. 2010, no. 1, pp. 41–45.
11. Matvienko Yu. A. Informatsionnye voyny [Information wars]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 60–70.
12. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collection of RF legislation]. 2006, no. 31 (part 1), art. 3448.
13. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collection of RF legislation]. 2008, no. 12, art. 1110.
14. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collection of RF legislation]. 2009, no. 21, art. 2573.
15. Rossiyskaya gazeta [Russian newspaper]. 2013, no. 136.
16. Rossiyskaya gazeta [Russian newspaper]. 1992, no. 32.
17. Chekunov I. G. Rossiyskiy sledovatel' [Russian investigator]. 2012, no. 2, pp. 37–44.
18. Salomatina E. S. Zakon i pravo [Law and rights]. 2009, no. 1, pp. 47–48.
19. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collection of RF legislation]. 2005, no. 35, art. 3660.
20. Starostina E. V., Frolov D. B. Zakonodatel'stvo i ekonomika [Legislation and economics]. 2005, no. 5, pp. 62–66.
21. Cherkasov V. N. Informatsionnaya bezopasnost' regionov [Regional information security]. 2007, no. 1, pp. 6–14.
22. Begishev I.R. Informatsionnaya bezopasnost' regionov [Regional information security]. 2010,no.1, pp.9–13.
23. Kapitonova E. A., Romanovskiy G. B. Sovremennyy terrorizm: monogr. [Modern terrorism: monograph]. Moscow: Yurlitinform, 2015, 216 p.
24. Panenkov A. A. Pravovye voprosy svyazi [Legal issues of communication]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 15–21.